Snap, the social media platform for Gen Z, launched its latest slate of Snap Originals today, in a sign that not every media company has failed to capture the imagination of an audience with short form content.
Even as Quibi’s billion dollar gambit continues to falter, Snap is forging ahead with a slate of new short form series with episodes averaging no longer than five minutes.
Taking their talent from social media, sports, music, and traditional entertainment, Snap’s shows feature entertainers like Loren Gray, Trippie Redd, Swae Lee, Haden Smith, MK Asante, Colin Kaepernick and Kevin Hart. As Snap says, truly some of the world’s greatest storytellers.
Here’s a list of what Snap is running:
- Honestly Loren (ITV America’s Sirens Media) – Watch as the famous-since-thirteen singer and social media celebrity, Loren Gray, confronts existential dread in a docuseries that’s set to premiere in 2021.
- Life’s a Tripp (Trooper Entertainment) – Musician Trippie Redd and some celebrity friends will go on an exploration around America to confront some of the country’s greatest and most pressing issues — from drug addiction to police reform — in what’s sure to be informational five minute installments set to air in 2021.
- Swae Meets World (Big Fish Entertainment) – This Swae Lee documentary due for a 2021 release follows the artist as he prepares to launch his first solo album.
- The Solution Committee (Westbrook Media) – Jaden Smith tackles racial and social justice issues with the help of activists and entertainer friends like Justin and Hailey Bieber, Common, Bella Hadid, Willow Smith, Janelle Monáe, Phoebe Robinson, Yara Shahidi and Lena Waithe. The series, which premiered in late September addresses policing and criminal justice reform, voting access, gender justice, housing, economic justice, climate change and education reform.
- Good Luck Voter! (Snap Inc.) – Snap unveiled this three-part series last week starring Loren Gray, Ross Smith, Erin Lim, Kimberly Jones, MK Asante and more which is designed to share information and memes on voting and American politics. The series was written by Peter Hamby of Snapchat’s “Good Luck America.”
- While Black with MK Asante (Main Event Media, an All3Media America company, and MK Asante Productions) – In the second season of this Snap vehicle, viewers will watch host MK Asante continue to explore what it means to be young and Black in America. The series will kick off with a special voting episode airing 10/25/20 before the series returns this November 2020.
- Colin Kaepernick VS the World (season 3; COMPLEX) – The third season of this Snap series will document the life of Kaepernick, the former quarterback and current civil rights advocate and his ongoing battles for racial justice. Docuseries premieres 2021.
Finally, Kevin Hart will star in an unscripted series called Coach Kev, made to inspire Snapchatters to live their “best life” — a life, presumably best lived and documented through Snap. The series premieres this Saturday, October 10.