Posted on

Garmin global outage caused by ransomware attack, sources say

An ongoing global outage at sport and fitness tech giant Garmin was caused by a ransomware attack, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the incident.

The incident began late Wednesday and continued through the weekend, causing disruption to the company’s online services for millions of users, including Garmin Connect, which syncs user activity and data to the cloud and other devices. The attack also took down flyGarmin, its aviation navigation and route-planning service.

Portions of Garmin’s website were also offline at the time of writing.

Garmin has said little about the incident so far. A banner on its website reads: “We are currently experiencing an outage that affects Garmin.com and Garmin Connect. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unable to receive any calls, emails or online chats. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.”

The two sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity as they are not authorized to speak to the press, told TechCrunch that Garmin was trying to bring its network back online after the ransomware attack. One of the sources confirmed that the WastedLocker ransomware was to blame for the outage.

One other news outlet appeared to confirm that the outage was caused by WastedLocker.

Garmin’s online services have been down for days. The cause is believed to be ransomware, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the incident. (Screenshot: TechCrunch)

WastedLocker is a new kind of ransomware, detailed by security researchers at Malwarebytes in May, operated by a hacker group known as Evil Corp. Like other file-encrypting malware, WastedLocker infects computers, and locks the user’s files in exchange for a ransom, typically demanded in cryptocurrency.

Malwarebytes said that WastedLocker does not yet appear to have the capability to steal or exfiltrate data before encrypting the victim’s files, unlike other, newer ransomware strains. That means companies with backups may be able to escape paying the ransom. But companies without backups have faced ransom demands as much as $10 million.

The FBI has also long discouraged victims from paying ransoms related to malware attacks.

Evil Corp has a long history of malware and ransomware attacks. The group, allegedly led by a Russian national Maksim Yakubets, is known to have used Dridex, a powerful password-stealing malware that was used to steal more than $100 million from hundreds of banks over the past decade. Later, Dridex was also used as a way to deliver ransomware.

Yakubets, who remains at large, was indicted by the Justice Department last year for his alleged part in the group’s “unimaginable” amount of cybercrime during the past decade, according to U.S. prosecutors.

The Treasury also imposed sanctions on Evil Corp, including Yakubets and two other alleged members, for their involvement in the decade-long hacking campaign.

By imposing sanctions, it’s near-impossible for U.S.-based companies to pay the ransom — even if they wanted to — as U.S. nationals are “generally prohibited from engaging in transactions with them,” per a Treasury statement.

Brett Callow, a threat analyst and ransomware expert at security firm Emsisoft, said those sanctions make it “especially complicated” for U.S.-based companies dealing with WastedLocker infections.

“WastedLocker has been attributed by some security companies to Evil Corp, and the known members of Evil Corp — which purportedly has loose connections to the Russian government — have been sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury,” said Callow. “As a result of those sanctions, U.S persons are generally prohibited from transacting with those known members. This would seem to create a legal minefield for any company which may be considering paying a WastedLocker ransom,” he said.

Efforts to contact the alleged hackers were unsuccessful. The group uses different email addresses in each ransom note. We sent an email to two known email addresses associated with a previous WastedLocker incident, but did not hear back.

A Garmin spokesperson could not be reached for comment by phone or email on Saturday. (Garmin’s email servers have been down since the start of the incident.) Messages sent over Twitter were also not returned. We’ll update if we hear back.

Read More

Posted on

US-Magazin Forbes berichtet – Handy-Hersteller Xiaomi spioniert Kunden aus

Ein Bericht des US-Wirtschafts-Portals Forbes erhebt schlimme Vorwürfe gegen den chinesischen Handy-Hersteller Xiaomi. Der auf den Smartphones vorinstallierte Internet-Browser sendet riesige Datenpakete mit Informationen über das Surfverhalten der Kunden an Server in China.

Kompletter Browser-Verlauf betroffen

Forbes beruft sich bei seinen Vorwürfen auf gleich zwei unabhängige Sicherheitsexperten. Beide bestätigen, dass die Smartphones von Xiaomi über die mitgelieferten Internet-App Mi Browser und eine im Play-Store von Google angebotene Browser-App namens Mint genau protokollieren, wann die Nutzer welche Webseiten aufrufen. Die Daten werden anschließend auf Server in China übertragen.

Besonders pikant: Die Surf-Programme sammeln diese Informationen auch im „Inkognito“-Modus, der den Nutzern suggeriert, eigentlich anonym zu surfen.

Xiaomi verschlüsselt die Daten während der Übertragung zwar, da sie jedoch mit dem sogenannten Mi-Konto des Nutzers verknüpft sind, können sie jederzeit wieder dem jeweiligen Nutzer zugeordnet werden.

Lesen Sie auch

Keine Besserung in Sicht

Xiaomi gesteht das Sammeln der Daten ein, weist gegenüber Forbes jedoch darauf hin, dass man die Daten anonymisiert und nur zur Verbesserung des Browsers selbst sammeln würde und im Einklang mit nationalem Datenschutzrecht handeln würde.

Auf BILD-Nachfrage verweist der chinesische Hersteller auf einen Blog-Beitrag. Hier spricht Xiaomi zunächst von einem Missverständis, kündigt später aber Updates für die beiden betroffenen Browser Mint und Mi an. Die sollen aber auch in Zukunft anonymisierte Nutzungsdaten erheben. Das Update soll es den Kunden lediglich erlauben, die Sammel-Funktion im Inkognito-Modus abzuschalten.

Auch Interessant

Der Skandal ereilt Xiaomi in Deutschland zu einer denkbar ungünstigen Zeit. Der Hersteller, der bisher vor allem für Saugroboter, eScooter, Fitness-Tracker und andere Kleingeräte bekannt war, bietet seit kurzer Zeit hierzulande auch Smartphones an. Ob auch andere Xiaomi-Geräte Nutzungsdaten sammeln und an den Hersteller schicken, ist derzeit noch unklar.

Read More

Posted on

Decrypted: Space hacking, iPhone vulnerability, Zoom’s security boom

Security startups to the rescue.

As we continue to ride out the pandemic, security experts are closely monitoring the surge of coronavirus-related cyber threats. Just this week, Google’s Threat Analysis Group, its elite threat hunting unit, says that while the overall number of threats remains largely the same, opportunistic hackers are retooling their efforts to piggyback on coronavirus.

Some startups are downsizing and laying off staff, but several cybersecurity startups are faring better, thanks to an uptick in demand for security protections. As the world continues to pivot toward working from home, it has blown up key cybersecurity verticals in ways we never expected. To wit, identity startups are needed more than ever to make sure only remote employees are getting access to corporate systems.

Can the startups take on the giants at their own game?


THE BIG PICTURE

Another payments processor drops the security ball

For the third time this year, a payments processor has admitted to a security lapse. First it was Cornerstone, then it was nCourt. This time it’s Paay, a New York-based card payment processor startup that left a database on the internet unprotected and without a password. Worse, the data was storing full, plaintext credit card numbers.

Anyone who knew where to look could have accessed the data. Luckily, a security researcher found it and reported it to TechCrunch. We alerted the company; it quickly took the data offline, but Paay denied that the data stored full credit card numbers. We even sent the co-founder a portion of the data showing card numbers stored in plaintext, but he did not respond to our follow-up.

Read More

Posted on

Sicherheitslücke in LTE – Hacker können auf Ihre Kosten Abos abschließen

Im Mobilfunkstandard LTE klafft eine Sicherheitslücke, durch die Angreifer in der Lage sind, die Identität von fremden Handy-Nutzern zu übernehmen! Potenziell betroffen sind so gut wie alle Handys und Tablets, die mit LTE funken. Das haben Forscher der Ruhr-Universität Bochum herausgefunden.

Die Gefahr: Angreifer könnten die Sicherheitslücke ausnutzen, um im Namen der Opfer kostenpflichtige Dienste zu buchen, die über die Handyrechnung bezahlt werden. „Ein Angreifer könnte die gebuchten Dienste nutzen, also beispielsweise Serien streamen, aber der Besitzer des Opferhandys müsste dafür bezahlen“, erklärt Prof. Dr. Thorsten Holz vom Horst-Görtz-Institut für IT-Sicherheit, der die Lücke zusammen mit weiteren Kollegen aufdeckte.

Lesen Sie auch

Entschlüsselung kann geknackt werden

Die Schwachstelle liegt in der Datenübertragung zwischen dem Mobiltelefon und der Basis-Station: Denn zwar werden die Datenpakete verschlüsselt verschickt, durch das Fehlen eines sogenannten Integritätsschutzes ist es aber möglich, die Verschlüsselung aufzuheben. „Wir wissen nicht, was an welcher Stelle im Datenpaket steht, aber wir können Fehler darin provozieren, indem wir Bits von 0 in 1 oder von 1 in 0 ändern“, erläutert David Rupprecht, ebenfalls vom Horst-Görtz-Institut für IT-Sicherheit.

Wenn man so Fehler in die Datenübertragung einschleust, kann die Verschlüsselung geknackt und der Datenverkehr manipuliert werden.

Auch Interessant

Auch 5G betroffen

Und nicht nur LTE ist von der Sicherheitslücke betroffen: Aktuell ist auch der Nachfolger des Mobilfunkstandards 5G anfällig. Hier könnten Mobilfunkbetreiber aber noch reagieren und die Lücke schließen.

„Technisch wäre das möglich“, erklärt David Rupprecht. „Die Mobilfunkbetreiber müssen jedoch höhere Kosten in Kauf nehmen, da der zusätzliche Schutz mehr Daten erzeugt, die übermittelt werden müssten. Zusätzlich müssten alle Handys erneuert und die Basisstationen erweitert werden. Das wird nicht in naher Zukunft eintreten.“

Lesen Sie auch

Angriff nur mit Fachwissen

Ohne Fachwissen und spezielle Hardware lässt sich die Sicherheitslücke laut der Forscher allerdings nicht ausnutzen: „Der Angreifer muss hochgradig geschult sein und sich nahe am Opfer befinden“, so Rupprecht. Außerdem benötigt man spezielle Hochfrequenz-Sender und -Empfänger.

Source: Bild.de Digital

Posted on

*** BILDplus Inhalt *** VPN-DIENSTE IM TEST – So sind Sie endlich unsichtbar im Internet!

Was die 16 größten Anbieter können – und wer der beste ist


VPN-Dienste im Test: So sind Sie endlich unsichtbar im Internet!

Enthüllungen wie der NSA-Skandal haben gezeigt, dass es mit der Privatsphäre im Internet offenbar nicht weit her ist. Deshalb haben in den vergangenen Jahren virtuelle private Netzwerke (VPN) einen gewaltigen Boom erlebt, die Anonymität im Internet versprechen. COMPUTER BILD hat 16 große VPN-Anbieter getestet und erklärt Ihnen, worauf Sie bei einem guten VPN-Dienst achten müssen.

Source: Bild.de Digital

Posted on

*** BILDplus Inhalt *** Ransomware-Attacken – Lösegeld – sonst schalten die Hacker ALLES ab

● Die erschreckenden Fälle ● Die Masche der Täter ● Der Kampf der Ermittler


Ranswomware-Attacken: Computer-Programme aus dem Darknet bedrohen uns alle

Ein unbedachter Klick reicht aus. Eine E-Mail von einem Geschäftspartner, mit dem man ja in den letzten Tagen auch hin und her geschrieben hatte. Kein Grund für Misstrauen. Klick. Schon ist alles zu spät. Der Computer ist infiziert mit einer Randsomware. Dieser Klick hat bereits ganze Städte lahmgelegt!

Wie die Programme funktionieren, wie sie die Opfer treffen und wie die Polizei gegen die Täter vorgeht, lesen Sie mit BILDplus.

Source: Bild.de Digital